Tuesday, May 12, 2009

So today I received a compliment from a friend that meant a lot to me.  I'm not sure whether it was because it sounded so sincere or because it was in response to a seriously existential diatribe, but I haven't stopped thinking about it.  And compliments in general.  What makes some so special, while other times we hardly notice them?  Is it the person giving the compliment?  The tone with which it is doled out?  The situation?  
And what can we do to sustain that sense of wonder and gratefulness toward the world without being "the person who gives out too many compliments so they probably don't matter anyway"?  That said, do people compliment others out of obligation, or lack of other conversation?  I see people recreate that famous "Mean Girls" scene all the time, where Regina Georges coos that she loves a girl's "vintage" skirt, only to trash talk it when the recipient was out of earshot.  
I wonder what compels us to withold some kind statements from people who genuinely deserve them, while other times we laud mediocrity to the skies.
Sometimes, it's a compliment enough to achieve acknowledgement from someone else.  Even if it does not recognize anything specific that is done.

Most of all, I wonder how, if a verbal high-five can do so much good for a person's day, why more politicians don't make simple compliments part of their lexicon, like "so golf's not your game, but you sure did kill me in skiball!" or "Mr. Ahmadinejad, your comedic timing is impeccable, believable almost!"

No comments: